10 Strategies to Supercharge Your Blogs SEO Value
Consistently blogging helps boost your search engine marketing efforts in many ways. With wise use of several key SEO strategies, the potential for more ranking opportunities opens up giving you an opportunity to increase your site’s audience and traffic. Read on to see how to better your blogs SEO value.
10 Strategies to Supercharge Your Blogs SEO Value
- Use Long-Tail Keywords:Identify 1 to 2 long-tail keywords (i.e. keyword phrases using at least 3 words) to match what your audience is seeking in their queries. Using long-tail keywords to optimize your blog posts doesn’t mean using the keywords as many times as possible as that’s actually harmful to your blogs SEO value. It means using one to two long-tail keywords, in a natural, organic way, per post. The long-tail keywords are favored now because they are more conversational and lend themselves better to the rising use of voice and mobile search.
- Proper Keyword Positioning: Specifically where do keywords go in your post? The 4 vital areas where keywords should be placed are the headers and body, meta description, title tag, and URL. Including your keyword in the title tag, within the first 60 characters, gives the search engine a huge clue what the content is about. Use the keyword once or twice, in a natural, user-friendly way, in the body of your post next and bonus points if you can also include it into any headers you use. Remember that the point of your post is fresh, relevant content that has real value to your audience and happens to contain your long-tail keywords, not the opposite. Incorporating your keywords into the URL of the post also helps the search engines determine what the post is truly about and many content management systems like WordPress allow you to customize these for optimization purposes. Meta descriptions are used to summarize for readers and search engines what content will be found on your posts and pages and keywords can be included here to maximize your blogs SEO value as well.
- Optimize for Mobile: With more than 50% of all searches conducted on mobile devices now, optimizing blogs and websites for mobile devices is crucial. Google’s July 2018 update also changed the SEO game. Where they used to reward websites for being optimized for mobile or having a mobile version, they will now penalize any website or blog that has no mobile version. Optimizing for mobile means using responsive design for our sites and blogs. Responsive design simply means that the site is visually appealing and functions quickly and easily on any device be it desktop, laptop, or mobile.
- Use Meta Description: Meta description refers to the summarizing text that appears just under the title in the SERPs and tells readers what the site is about. Such information is crucial because it helps a visitor determine whether or not they will visit the site but many do nothing with this valuable SEO component. With 300 characters of space, it should be interesting, reader-friendly, and relevant and include your identified long-tail keyword for the given topic. Some research should be given as to how this works on your site. Some CMS systems like WordPress give you a quick and easy way to manage meta descriptions. If the meta descriptions on your website aren’t something you’ve set before, chances are the search engines are simply grabbing the first 300 characters from the given post or page and placing those there. Since this is something we can manipulate, it would be a wasted opportunity not to use it.
- Alt Text for Images: Quality, attention-grabbing content should be a nice mix of text and images. Search engines aren’t keeping an eye out for the images though, they can’t see them. They are actually looking for images with alt text. The alt text of an image is a short description of what the image is about and helps the images to rank. It not only improves the user experience of your blog or website for the average user, it let’s those who are visually challenged know there are images included and what they pertain to.
- Minimize Similar Topics: Topic or categories are wonderful for helping readers find the information they are looking for in your posts and helping your posts relate to one another. Overusing them, however, can be harmful to your blogs SEO value as the search engines will penalize you for duplicate content. If you have a costume website, for example, and you use categories like Halloween makeup, Halloween costumes, and Halloween accessories, and place your post about a new Halloween costume kit in all three categories, the search engines may penalize you for duplicating content. A wiser approach might be to have just Halloween alone as the post’s topic and the use of tags for the fine details like accessories, makeup, and more.
- Smart URL Structuring: The very URL structure of your blog or site can and should be used to improve your blogs SEO vlaue. The key concept here is that in making the URL structure easy to understand and navigate for the user, we do the same thing for the search engines. Using the knitting website example, having popular categories in your URL structure will give readers a clue as to what they are reading and help them understand which site section they are currently in. The URL https://www.genericknittingsite.com/tools/bamboo-knitting-needles.html tells you that you’re in the tools section of the knitting site and reading about bamboo knitting needs. The URL https://www.genericknittingsite.com/patterns/kids-socks.html tells you that you’re in the patterns section of the site and reading about knitting patterns for kids’ socks. Moz provides an excellent guide for best practices in URL structuring for SEO.
- Internal Linking: As inbound links to your site are beneficial to blogs SEO value, internal linking is as well. Internal links within your site help the search engines out in determining the relevancy and validity of your content. Those internal links to content elsewhere on your website not only keeps visitors there, but it also helps boost the authority of your pages on the search engines.
- Google’s Search Console: This free Google tool offers a highly useful section call the Search Analytics Report. The information there helps you see which keywords visitors are using to find your content. For those working hard to frequently post blogs with real value to their readers and who consistently optimize them for search, this tool will help you boost the benefits of your efforts by showing you which keywords are most often used.
- Topic Clusters: Since most blogs and sites are structured for individual blog posts on specific subjects that are then optimized, sometimes the end result is a website that’s not especially organized. Worst case scenario, the end result is a website where it’s difficult for readers to find the information they seek. It’s also important that your content isn’t competing with itself in your optimization efforts. When a topic cluster is used instead, broad subjects you wish to rank are chosen. Content for the subjects based on specific keywords is then developed, cluster topics (or subtopics), in such a way that the posts are relatable and link to each other to promote authority. Finer details with tags and hyperlinks can be used from there. With such a structure, readers and search engines alike will find what they are looking for quickly which will translate over time into a larger audience and an improved search engine ranking.
Keep these tactics in mind as your develop or renovate your website. While it’s not necessary to use every tactic simultaneously to see results, each should be tried to see which work best with your individual site and situation. Monitor your results using Google Analytics and then tinker, tailor, and devise the best plan for your site. With so many changes to the SEO landscape, being a perpetual student and keeping up with the changes is also a great way to ensure you’ll see results from your SEO efforts and that you’ll never be left behind.
Have questions or want to learn more about optimizing your website and increase your blogs SEO value? Please contact us today.